Monday, October 25, 2010

Benchmark Run - DONE!

I spent last week preparing for our benchmark run on Sunday.  Carb-loading, hydrating, getting plenty of rest and even taking it easy on Saturday. 

We did go to the corn maize on Saturday, but we went early and the sky was overcasted, so we weren't attacked and drained by the sun.  My family had a lot of fun and I have tons of pics on my facebook page.


Sunday morning - got up at 5 am and met Connie at 6 and we drove over to the park to meet our USA Fit running group.  The walkers were scheduled to start at 6 and runners at 7 but some runners decided they would go ahead and start earlier.  We opted to wait for the "official start time" of 7. 

So, 7 o'clock came and off we went.  We felt good and it was perfect running weather.  We ran an interval of 1/2 mile run to 1 min walk/recovery time.  Our route had a lot of hills - the elevation gain was 869 ft and loss was 875 ft which wasn't so bad.  In fact, we kept having to slow our pace down, since during the first half, we kept dipping into an 8.5 min pace as opposed to a 10 and we knew if we kept doing that, we'd be spent for the last half.  THEN we got to mile 14, where almost like a bad dream, all we did was climb, and climb, and climb some more for 4.5 miles!  That incline completely drained whatever last bit of strength and energy I had in my calves, thighs, butt and back.  The last 1.5 miles was flat and long, which was perfect, cuz I was ready to just lie down and die.  We didn't die (me, Connie, Jim & Karen - I think they wanted to die too).  We made it to the end.  The benchmark was supposed to be 21 miles, but our Garmins tracked only 20.2 miles and our end time was 3:55:45.  As of today, this is the longest distance I have ever run in my life!

There are 19 days left until the Rock 'n Roll Marathon.  Nov. 14th.  M-Day.

I rested most of the day yesterday and my legs are sore today, but I'm ready.  I'm ready to take on the 26.2 mile challenge.  I'm nervous.  Nervous that the sun will be out and it will super hot and humid.  I'm excited.  Excited to start and finish something that a lot of people would love to do, but for whatever reason, don't take on this kind of physical/mental challenge.

What about you?  Do you have something that you are preparing for & it is really challenging you right now?

No comments:

Post a Comment

I LOVE COMMENTS!!!